Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Guide to the Edible and Medicinal Plants of the MST Coming to a Bookstore, Outfitters, or Trail Near You!

Marsh Blue Violet (Viola cucullata)
                                                   
I am proud to announce that my guide, titled A Guide to the Edible and Medicinal Plants of the Mountains to Sea Trail, is indeed coming to fruition and is available for purchase!

Through a hiker's perspective of time, it was a long time coming...I mean, I could have hiked the MST almost 12 times by now, or even the AT more than 5 times by now....but through the writer's perspective, I would say, it's right on time! For the last 2 1/2 years, I have sunk my nose into many a plant guide as well as plants alongside the trail, waded through notes, scoured pictures, drank more than what would be considered an appropriate amount of coffee for a healthy individual to consume, and learned a considerable amount (although still not enough) about the technical aspects of Microsoft Word. 

I am pleased to have connected with my publisher, Hither Page Press, an imprint of Boxing Day Books while out visiting family in the tiny town of Princeton Illinois. It's funny how you find just what you need when you're truly ready for it. Hither Page Press publishes books of local flavor and special interest, and I would say that is just what this guide has come to be.

This guide is not only a means to identifying the plants but specifically designed for use in the backcountry by the backpacker, be he or she a day hiker, section hiker, or thru hiker. It will help you identify a wild edible or medicinal plant, teach you how to harvest it sustainably and efficiently, and  then provide you with a recipe, turning it into a tasty treat; a delicious backcountry meal prepared with no more than your one pot, alcohol stove, and a few simple ingredients; or a medicinal tea, oil, or poultice perfect for the weary hiker.


Violet Pasta Alfredo
 
               1 packet of instant pasta alfredo (Lipton's and Knorr are both yummy & lightweight brands)
1 teaspoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons of dehydrated milk
1 handful of violet leaves
5-10 violet flowers
 
Combine pasta mix and 2 cups of water in a quart sized pot with lid on tightly. Once water has reached a simmer, remove lid, add leaves, and cook for recommended time on packet or until noodles are soft. Leaves will be soft and fully cooked, resembling spinach. Add olive oil and dehydrated milk to maximize creaminess and nutritional value. Lastly, add flowers, and stir to combine.

The beginner plant lover will find the botanical terms easy to understand, the guide easy to navigate, and appreciate descriptions of look-a-like plants which are critical to discerning the featured plant from a inedible or poisonous plant. If there's a term you don't know, there's also a handy glossary in the back of the book.

Common Chickweed (Stellaria media)

A common wildflower with opposite leaves. Leaves and stems are succulent with clear juice when broken.
Flowers have 5 white petals that are so deeply cleft they appear to have 10 petals.
The sepals are conspicuous, as are the dark-brown tipped stamen in the center of the flower
One of the first wildflowers to flower in spring, they enjoy cool temperatures, damp soil, and partial sunlight. They will usually flower again in the fall.

The seasoned plant lover will enjoy the detailed description of uses for each featured plant along with unique recipes not found anywhere else but yet field tested and approved by this hungry hiker, not to mention the high-quality color photo accompanying each plant.

Lousewort (Pedicularis canadensis) - gone to seed
 

I'd also like to mention that although this book identifies wild edible and medicinal plants along the MST, all of these plants can be found regionally off the trail, and many throughout the entire eastern United States. The MST can be your starting ground - learn the plants here - and then you'll be able to recognize them in your own backyard or favorite wild place.

Red Clover (Trifolium pretense)


You see, harvesting and eating wild foods, as well as using them as medicine, does not need to be complicated. They can be incorporated into foods we already know and love, enhancing their nutrition and flavor, while at the same time more directly connecting us to our environment, making the hiker a part of nature rather than someone simply walking through it as an observer.

The book will begin to hit shelves in April! It will also be available for order directly through me as well as my blog, and perhaps a selected website or two. If you'd like to pre-order your copy now, please shoot me an email at Heather.Herbs.Yoga@gmail.com.

I know I've taken a bit of a break here at the blog, but now that the meat of the guide is finished, I will be posting here again, so please visit again soon or enter your email into the box at the top of the page, to receive an email directly when I do a new post!

6 comments:

  1. The seeds online shop specialized in special rarities seeds as well as common plants from all around the world. We provide a wide range of medicinal plants, seeds of ornamental plants, tropical and ethnobotanical species, as well as some vegetable seeds and rare curiosities.

    Dilan Munter
    2072 Godfrey Road
    New York, NY 10029
    212-534-5314
    dilamunter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnose April 17,2015 and find out I'm HIV positive.I was scared because there is no cure for HIV/AIDS but today some people still don't believe that there is cure for HIV, it can only be cured through Africans root and herbs,and our doctor's here in USA few of them know about the African herbal medicine can cure Hiv but they chooses to hide it from us just to make a sales of medical expertise. I did a research online finding way to get rid of my disease,I saw a comment about a herbal doctor on internet Name Dr god hands ,who has cured several disease with his powerful herbal medicine, I contacted him on whats-app, chat with him explain my self to him.He said he can cure hiv perfectly well , he gave me his request which i send to him. within 5 days he sent me the herbal medicine through ups courier delivering service And told me how to take the medicine for 2 weeks to get cured,I did for 2 weeks, within this 7 days  i notice a very big change in my health and i new some thing great has happened then i went to confirm my result after finishing the herbal medicine for two weeks it was absolutely negative.The doctor who new i was hiv positive was asking me how come i am negative, what did it took to get cure and were did i get this medicine from and how did i get rid of it I told him every thing about the herbal medicine that cure me. imagine doctor telling me not to let anyone know about it,I wasn't shock though i knew they know about the herbal cure but chose to hide it in other to make sales on medicals expertise,if you are HIV positive Or other disease such as,Sickle Cell,Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease,.. please contact my savior doctorgodhands@gmail.com or WHATSAPP number +2349057214220..

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was diagnosed with ALS early  March to be precise, and was so confused because I love my dad and wouldn't want to lose him so soon so I decided to look for a possible solution to rid of this ALS despite knowing it has no cure as advised by the medical doctor. Everyday my dad's health depreciate keep losing weight and strength a friend advised me to try Dr.Ovie ALS herbal formula that she use to cure her dad's heart disease and I was reluctant about it until after a second thought I decided to give a try because no harm in trying immediately I contacted him he assure me my dad will be cured within few days  he sent me the medicine and I applied it on  my dad as advised by Dr. Ovie within 3weeks of using  the herbal formula my dad was cured and my dad is free from ALS I went to the hospital that said there is no cure to ALS and informed them about my dad's healing and they were surprised you can contact Dr Ovie contact Dr Ovie via email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@gmail.com or contact Dr Ovie on yahoo email> ovie.miraclemedicine1@yahoo.com contact Dr.Ovie on his website

    now https://oviemiraclemedicin.wixsite.com/mysite Call or WhatsApp Dr on +2349056393169 aaDr Ovie is also specialize in curing the following below*PARKINSON DISEASE*CANCER*STROKE*INFERTILITY*HEART DISEASE*HIV*COLD SORES*DIABETES*LUPUS DISEASE*HPV*HSV1&2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete