Sunday, January 5, 2020

Due South!

On the Florida Trail in Osceola National Forest

So I have kind of been feeling like this lately - shin-deep in molasses-like mud. All the while wishing that I really was shin-deep in gritty, pollen-drenched, belching mud somewhere in a Florida swamp. Instead my love and I have been playing the waiting game here in the Northeast, impatiently biding our time until the Universe says "Okay, GO!" Our plan was to hit the road, southbound, the day after Christmas. But as we all know - plans shmans! Sometimes circumstances arise that prevent us from following our perfectly laid plans such as a delayed house closing, an ailing beloved feline, or a hitch for our truck that got lost in the ethers. As a thru-hiker I accept this fact. I know that with every itinerary I draft, circumstances out of my control will cause shifts and ripples. But that is where the adventure takes shape. 

So although I have been feeling as if we are stuck, kind of like stuck in a trail town waiting for a maildrop that was supposed to arrive yesterday, I think its high time I embrace the stuck-ness.  We are in the unknown and really is that so bad? So rather than waiting to post an update until I know just what is happening, I decided I would simply outline some of the major elements we plan to incorporate in our adventure this winter.

   
Our tiny home for the winter - Rockwood A192 Hard-wall Pop-up Camper

We will be returning to the sunny climes of Florida. However we thought after exploring the length of the state by foot last year, we would cut ourselves a little break. We will be mobile in our tiny home, a gem of a find on Facebook Marketplace, this pop-up hard-wall camper. I have always dreamed of a little A-frame cottage in the woods to call my own but what's even better than that? One on wheels. We will be hauling this beaut with our elderly pick-up truck - hey what says adventure more than a Dodge sporting 208,000 miles and counting? And no home is complete without an animal companion.

Amos Moses

Amos Moses, our beloved coonhound, a rescue inspired by a pup that stole our hearts on the Florida Trail last year, will be in tow. As you can see, he's been in training for Florida, with alligator chew-toys and all. We know Amos has a whole slew of adventures in store for us that we cannot foresee. Does anyone else see a potential book in the writing, say, Amos and an A-Frame? We have couple of primary objectives for returning to Florida this year. Firstly, the hiker community.

Billy Goat Day 2019
On our 2019 thru-hike we were supported by so many incredible individuals connected to the Florida Trail, from members of the Alliance, Association, to locals we met along the way. Our hike would not have succeeded had it not been for these folks. Therefore, we want to give back. We hope to make it to Florida in time for Billy Goat Day, an annual gathering in honor of the legendary Billy Goat himself, and the Florida Trail. This is our one definite pinpoint for our travels while in the state. Other than this one-day event, we plan to travel Florida with a watchful eye for this year's thru-hikers. We know all too well just what a cold beverage or a ride into town can mean to a weary hiker. We want to be of service. We also look forward to reconnecting with all of you who became friends on our journey.

Lantana

Scott on Florida Trail north of Kissimmee Prairie Preserve

And as anyone who has thru-hiked knows, one of  the downsides is not always being able to linger in a magical place as long as you'd like. Therefore we hope to revisit some of those special places we discovered on the Florida Trail as well as experience some pieces we did not have the opportunity to hike, such as the western route north of Kissimmee. I plan in our hiking excursions and nightly camping spots to better study the botanical inhabitants. On our thru-hike we succeeded in a broad survey of the plants of the trail, however we would like to obtain a better working knowledge with the edible and medicinal plants and broaden our identification skills. Florida is after all, the land of the flowers, and we have only scratched the surface.

Some of our dear friends in Asheville - Noah, Alex and Addy - in the Shining Rock Wilderness

In addition to Florida, we will be making our annual pilgrimage to Asheville, NC, where we will play in the mountains with our dear friends. As most of you know, Asheville was my home for a good portion of my adult-life. No matter the time that has passed, when I hit Blue Ridge trail, connecting with that clay-compacted soil sparkling with mica and woven with tree roots, my heart remembers my kinship with this place and when I am in the company of loved ones that remain ever close no matter the distance, I am reminded that this too, is my home. We will of course, be reveling in the Appalachian plants while we are here as well, familiar botanical beauties that were among the first I could ever name.

This year has been a full one with some major accomplishments for both of us. Since thru-hiking the Florida Trail, I have a finished manuscript about our hike on the Long Path. Scott has completed two new albums, one of which I am on, my studio debut! So, in the meantime, maybe I will start the next book and Scott will craft the next album. May as well put this quiet time hanging out in town to use! But while doing so, we will continue to pack up our belongings for the road and dream of what's to come. And for now, that's what I can tell you. I don't know when we're leaving or when we'll be where - a first for me - but that's the general non-plan and really all part of the adventure. One thing, I can promise you...even if we end up in my tiny Volvo with a hound, a tent, and a couple of backpacks, we will be due south! 

Bot, Wise Man, and Amos looking forward to seeing y'all soon!





4 comments:

  1. Hope to see y'all at BGD! I'll be flying in and am so excited to be meeting hikers I've talked to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry we missed you at Billy Goat Day! We had many an obstacle arise at home that delayed our leaving. Would love to meet you someday!

      Delete
  2. When down here in Fl, you might like to check out Archbold Biological Station if you haven't before. It's on the Highlands Ridge, which is known for rare and endangered plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the suggestion! We will check it out!

      Delete