Sunday, March 29, 2020

Exploration in the Time of Covid


Sheep sorrel (Rumex acetosella)

In these unprecedented times we must redefine our concept of exploration. We have been given an opportunity to journey, not outward, but inward.  For the safety of those we love and ourselves, we must isolate. This is not a lifestyle we are well adjusted to in our daily lives. When we want social interaction or even when we do not, it is at the ready. This particularly applies to social media. We lean on this virtual world when we cannot access the physical world, however this too has become a source that feeds our fear as the news of the virus rolls in. But now with orders to stay home, rather than bemoan it, I suggest we embrace it. It'll take some practice, but we've got time, and that's rare.


Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) and acorn caps

Nature, even in its simplest terms can offer solace as can mindfulness, and the two together essentially create a feedback loop. For those of us in more rural or even suburban dwellings, accessing nature is easy - take to the backyard or a lesser-known nearby trail. Walk slowly. Breathe in the smell of a nearby pine, listen to the sound of stones grind beneath your feet, take a damp leaf in your hand and crush it, notice its aroma, its texture, its energy. It came from a plant, a piece of a whole, with a life all its own, fed by soil and sun and water, the same stuff that feeds your soul right now. For city dwellers, finding nature can be especially difficult, but a seat by the window can provide a world of exploration. Watch the clouds roll by as you did when you were a child, notice how they persist and change form dependent upon the factors in their environment. We can too. And they are made of water vapor, interesting that we are largely made up of water as well. The same stuff. We're connected. 
Walking beneath live oaks in central Florida

As a long distance hiker, I have spent a lot of time alone. In fact its something I have come to crave and require. Walking below the outstretched limbs of a tree through a carpet of fallen leaves, the warm sun upon my face, and fresh air filling my lungs, I feel whole, a part of something bigger. I am not lonely because I am suddenly aware that I am intrinsically tied to all of earth, it's creatures, it's plants, its beating pulse. By spending time connecting with the outdoors whether that be on a trail or from the perch of your windowsill, we can attune to our inner thoughts, we can let our feelings percolate - who knows what dreams may arise! Creativity ensues. We can attune to that which is bigger than our individual selves and find connection with the whole Self that encompasses all and stretches beyond the physical limitations of our bodies, the imaginary boundaries of county, state, country, and continent.

Paw-paw (Asimina) flower 

I too have found our present circumstances challenging, having recently had to cut short a journey by wheel and by foot through the Southeast. It is not safe nor ethical to travel long distances right now given the need to social distance and not place strain upon small communities with limited resources. But I see no reason for the exploration to cease. Dive in, dream big, and use our virtual means in the best way possible by connecting with friends and family we wouldn't otherwise have the time to call or write. Pick up that book you've been meaning to read or write that story you've been wishing to tell, cook food, plant seeds, and start that online yoga class for which you long ago signed up. Just sit and do nothing, it's okay and actually good for you. Dwell on the subtle beauty that surrounds us and cultivate wonder for the often hidden, the intricacies, the little things that make our existence and our connections so very rich.

Again, this is going to take some practice, this whole slowing down thing. And I wish that our circumstances were not that which they are, we are a people in jeopardy. But what better time to appreciate our interconnectedness to one another and this earth, and explore all that for which we have to be grateful.
Handful of some of my favorite herbs: yarrow (Achillea millefolium), sweet fern (Comptonia peregrina), and white pine (Pinus strobus)
Stay tuned for more posts about our recent journey through the Southeast. We returned home just days ago, our trip certainly altered by Covid but still so full of magic. There are so many special wilderness areas we would like to share with you and also the experience of traveling with a coonhound an old truck and a travel trailer.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. When I was young I used to go sit on the rocks above a little waterfall near where I lived. I would breath in the air, listen to the birds and bees and rustling water. I felt surrounded by beauty and the spirits that traveled river. I felt connected to something far bigger than me. I need to do that again.
    So glad you did the nature walks in Penn Yan and I was able to go. I find it so interesting and informative. Now, because of you and your great books,
    I am making spruce tree tea for some great vitamin c. So good! Thank you and stay well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That connection is always there :)
      I am so glad that you are putting those herbs to use! I know I am especially grateful for them too right now, looking forward to all the wild greens popping up, less veggies I have to buy at the store!

      Delete