 |
| With Amos at the finish line |
We did it! We completed the Cranberry 50, a 50-mile trail around Cranberry Lake. In fact, we hiked closer to 60 miles given that we did the trail to Janack's Landing that cut the loop in two. In between our loops, we took two nights at a peaceful Hipcamp in Hermon, NY, one hour from the Canadian border.
 |
| Colorful path along the Oswegatchie River |
We began our loop once more in Wanakena and headed counterclockwise, beginning on the CL50. Our path was level for the first nine miles, given that we followed an old tote road. Tote roads such as this were created by the logging industry for horse-drawn sleds and wagons. We walked first along Slate Creek, then strode into thick woods where the air was sweetly scented with balsam fir and damp soil. After some miles, we came across the short side trail to High Rock, which I had been told was worth taking.
 |
| Looking at the Oswegatchie River from High Rock |
High Rock is a massive boulder, carpeted in rusty needles and topped with evergreens, that sits on the edge of the Oswegatchie River. Here, I was able to see the meandering nature of this slim waterway. It wound like a snake, slithering this way and that through the grassy expanse below. I was told that some folks paddle this river. Seems it would be a pleasant paddle, however I do wonder how you get past the beaver dams. Speaking of beaver dams, back on the main trail, our easy path then delivered us directly to the beaver dams.
.jpeg) |
| Amos wondering just what I've gotten us into this time |
 |
| The inhabitants responsible for this enchanting, and mucky, landscape |
I had known this was coming, but I hadn't expected it on our first day. I mistakenly had thought that crossing these dams came on day two of our loop in the Plains section of the trail. Oh sure, we'd cross them again there. But these were the most challenging of them. The trail basically utilizes these dams to cross sprawling beaver ponds. This first dam was the messiest of them. Good thing I've got plenty of experience swamp-walkin' thanks to the Florida Trail. I took one step onto the muddy surface and could tell right quick, I was going in. I changed into my crocs, hung my sneakers securely on the back on my pack and told Amos, "I'll lead, you follow."
.jpeg) |
| On the other side |
I thought at first it might be easier to embrace the murky water and wade right in rather than walk through shoe-sucking mud on the edge. We started, but I soon found that the water was reaching mid-calf. I looked back at Amos to see it approaching his belly. He looked questioningly at me. Nope, not happening. So back onto the mud we went. Where we squished and sank and splattered mud all over each other with our every step. Once on the other side, I just kept the crocs on. I knew we weren't done yet.
 |
| Crossing another dam, this one a little more solid |
 |
| The beauty of the beaver dams |
The other dams were a muddy, wet mess as well. But in places on these we were able to cross on dry logs, each one chewed to a point and not so orderly stacked. Still, they did provide a sort of bridge. And despite the challenge of these dams, they were some of the most enchanting scenery I encountered on this whole trail. The pallet of colors - red and deep green and gold - against gray sky and reflected in still water was captivating. The dead standing trees, their branches tufted with lichen. With our feet and paws in mud, I stopped and stared, knowing I had to relish this moment. How often do you find yourself standing in the middle of a beaver pond?
 |
| The Oswegatchie River framed in color |
Throughout the first and second day, the trail continued to weave us near to the Oswegatchie River. The colors have grown so vibrant in the last week. I felt as if I walked in a painting of the Adirondacks in autumn. Lucky us. We camped alongside the river on our first night with 7 other people. I hadn't expected on a foggy weekday to encounter so many others, and the site was small, but we made it work!
 |
| High Falls |
 |
| Above High Falls |
The second day we were graced with High Falls. This special spot also required a short walk off trail, about a half mile, but it was worth every step! I could hear the falls as we drew near. We came into a clearing and then chose one of several side trails to explore. In short order, we stood before picturesque falls, where water crashed over boulders into a deep pool. Around the edges were large flat boulders perfect for sitting. Amos and I waded, I filled our water bottles, and we basked in the sun on a warm rock for a good while. The High Falls trail also bore relics from the past, such as this contraption, now hosting green moss and adorned in autumn leaves.
 |
| A relic along the High Falls trail |
We crossed the Plains, where indeed we encountered a couple more beaver dams, one of which required a little more wading. But, by now we were pros. The grassy landscape of the Plains was enchanting as well, especially with the tamarack trees beginning to turn gold. The space, too, that this stretch afforded, with a wide gray sky overhead, felt good after being in dense woods so much of our time.
 |
| Tamarack trees turning gold - Tamaracks aka larches are deciduous evergreens |
Our last night on the trail, we had camp all to ourselves at Janack's Landing on Dead Creek Flow. Ironically, here there was ample space for campers, and a lean-to to boot. I chose a spot near to the water's edge so we could enjoy the view from the tent. This night proved to be the warmest yet. Loons called and cackled, barred owls hooted, and I do believe an eagle was crashing into the water periodically to retrieve a tasty bite.
 |
| Camp at Janack's Landing |
Our last day, we walked an easy, breezy four miles on familiar trail. Given his speed, I think Amos knew the end of the trail was near. Four miles in less than 90 minutes. Perhaps he knew the hamburger that awaited him at the gas station up in Star Lake. What a joy it was to complete this 50-mile trail around Cranberry Lake with him. Makes my heart sing. He gets all the hamburgers he wants.
 |
| Woods that seemed to sing in their golden color |
I'll close up this post by featuring Lazy River Cabins in Hermon, NY. This was the Hipcamp where we rested and waited out a couple days of rain. What a cool place! Sarah and Doug are the hosts. The property goes back to Doug's great grandfather who first opened his land to the community through a swimming hole, then a dance hall, then a skating rink. Relics of this history still stand here, some still in operation. Sarah and Doug host community skate nights in the ol' time skating rink. Oh, and there's hand-constructed miniature golf, too, that folks can enjoy. The 4 cabins that can be rented on Hipcamp, were also surely constructed some time ago. They are in excellent condition and lovingly decorated.
 |
| Amos on the porch of the Hemlock Cabin |
 |
| Skating rink |
 |
| You can even rent skates! I was told by Lizzie who first greeted me that I could enjoy the rink while I was there, however I opted out. It would be my luck to injure myself rolling around on skates while on my Adirondack Amble. |
But what made Lazy River Cabins really special was meeting Sarah and learning that she is a certified Forest Therapy Guide, like myself. There aren't too many of us offering this work to others. Sarah offers a variety of programs and retreats at Lazy River centered around forest therapy. Amos and I thoroughly enjoyed walking her Certified Forest Bathing Trail while we were there as well. The property is 200-acres and hosts towering trees, a rocky creek, grassy fields and borders the Grasse River. We felt right at home. Check them out at
Lazy River Playground and Retreat Center | Website.
And, thank you again to Chris and Heather of West Canada Creek Farm! We have just finished up a restful stay and a very peaceful morning at our screenhouse. Amos was thrilled to return and enjoyed running the fields as soon as he got here. Be sure to check them out here:
West Canada Creek Farm - Hipcamp in Barneveld, New York. I purchased a few darling little pumpkins to place in the back window of the sedan. Now, we'll head back towards Inlet and into the surrounding wild forests. We've got about a week left of our journey, we're going to savor it.
No comments:
Post a Comment